Attorney Houston TX
Attorney Houston TX is needed if you have an arrest record and seek expungement and sealing of your record. Many people seek this type of legal help because of difficulty securing employment, housing, and loans, even if criminal charges were made and later dropped. If you are seeking expungement and want an experienced Attorney in Houston TX, contact our office today.
What is Expungement?
Expungement is also known as “expunction,” and it is the complete elimination of a person’s criminal record. As a result of an expungement, all files and documentation are destroyed and it is as though a person’s criminal record never existed. There are many reasons you may want to hire an Attorney Houston TX to seek expungement.
Sealing of a record, also called “non-disclosure,” limits access to a person’s records and makes it more difficult for anyone to learn about your criminal background. With non-disclosure, the documentation and files are still available, unlike in cases of expungement. A court order or government agency can make a criminal record that has been sealed available for viewing.
Who is Eligible?
It is not in every case that expungement is available. It is helpful to hire an Attorney Houston TX, to better understand your legal options. The following are examples of records eligible for expungement:
- If you were arrested but not charged or your charges were dismissed.
- If your offense was a minor alcohol-related offense.
- If you were arrested for identity theft but another person was charged and convicted of the crime.
- If you received a pardon from a U.S. President or a state Governor.
- If you were later acquitted by the Criminal Court of Appeals.
Who is Ineligible?
Not everyone is eligible for expungement. You may not qualify for certain criminal acts or in the following situations:
- If you were convicted of a felony within five years after arrest.
- If you received probation or a deferred adjudication.
- If the statute of limitations for the crime is not up.
Among the criminal acts which cannot be expunged are: prostitution, child molestation, sexual battery, and theft. There are certain traffic offenses which cannot be expunged, such as vehicular homicide, fleeing the scene of an automobile accident, and driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI). The records also cannot be restricted, with regards to these offenses.
If you seek expungement of your criminal record, contact an Attorney Houston TX today.